Wherever you are there are ways you can reduce the risk of picking up hepatitis E. They will help to stop you picking up other infections too.
- make sure all meat is well cooked
especially pork, venison and wild boar
- make sure all shellfish are well cooked
the shells should pop open during cooking. Throw away any that do not open
- always wash fruit and vegetables before you eat them
especially if you are not going to cook them
- always wash your hands well with soap and water:
- after touching animals
- after going to the toilet
- before eating or preparing food
If you are travelling to an area with waterborne hepatitis E you should also
- only drink bottled water
- do not have ice in your drinks
- avoid uncooked foods that could have been watered or washed with contaminated water
Eg. salads and raw vegetables
There is currently no vaccine available in the UK for hepatitis E.
There is some evidence that people with undiagnosed liver conditions are more at risk from hepatitis E.
Lots of us have some damage in our liver that has been caused by what we eat or how much alcohol we drink. If the damage is not too bad then your liver can repair it when the cause is taken away.
These things will not stop you picking up hepatitis E, but they could help your liver to fight it off.
Published: November 2023
Review due: November 2026