Helping liver patients and their families
The British Liver Trust Helpline is provides support to anyone affected by a liver condition.
- In 2019, we answered over 2,700 helpline queries and a third liver nurse joined the team.
- We also have 18,000 members of our online liver health community.
Delivering the national liver plan in Wales
- We have created a network of healthcare professionals with a liver interest.
- We have also set up a number of new patient support groups across the country to improve support for liver patients.
- We have hosted a number of community scanning events in leisure centres.
Patient Support Groups across Scotland
- We have increased the number of support groups for pre and post-transplant patients.
- We now have new support groups in Ayrshire, Grampian and Highlands and Islands.
- Two new facilitators, Eden and Gillian, join Amy to run groups in the north and west of Scotland.
- Over 64,000 publications downloaded for free
- New publication: Thinking Ahead: Planning for your future with advanced liver disease was Highly Commended at the British Medical Association’s patient information awards
- New patient factsheets:
Raising awareness of preventable liver disease
Over 22,800 people completed our online liver health screener in the last 12 months
National Love Your Liver roadshows held in Scotland, Northern Ireland and Wales
Regional Love Your Liver roadshows held in London, the North West and the South Coast of England
- 1,814 completed liver health screener
- 1,733 received liver scans
- 15% with an indication of liver damage and recommended for GP follow up
- 12% will visit GP
- 25% will change their diet
- 23% aim to reduce alcohol consumption
- 23% to increase exercise
Supporting healthcare professionals and influencing policy
Increasing early diagnosis in primary care
- Liver disease included in the NHS over 40s health check in England
- New guidelines produced for Clinical Commissioning Groups on liver disease testing
- GP training and education event held in London
New liver biopsy patient guidelines produced
- Responded to the Government’s ‘Green Paper on Prevention’
- Campaigning for greater investment in liver cancer research
- Submission to NICE on behalf of liver cancer patients