The Love Your Liver mobile screening and scanning unit will be visiting locations across the South of England from 17 to 22 October 2019.
Nearly 16,500 people are admitted to hospital due to liver disease in the South East and South West each year*. The British Liver Trust estimates that over 90% of these cases could have been prevented.
Members of the public are invited to the Love Your Liver roadshow where they can assess their risk of getting liver disease, find out what preventative measures they can take to keep their liver healthy and be offered a free liver scan. Approximately one in five who have a scan at the Love Your Liver roadshows are found to have liver damage that requires further investigation.
A silent killer
Pamela Healy, Chief Executive, British Liver Trust, said: ‘One in five of us are at risk of liver disease and the number of people being diagnosed has been increasing at an alarming rate. Liver damage develops silently with no signs or symptoms and people often don’t realise they have a problem until it is too late. Although the liver is remarkably resilient, if left until symptoms appear, the damage is often irreversible.
‘The Love Your Liver roadshow is a great opportunity for people to find out their risk of liver disease and the first 100 people to attend will receive a free non-invasive scan. Approximately 20% of the people we scan need to have further checks.’
Love your Liver
The three main causes of liver disease are alcohol, obesity and viral hepatitis. The British Liver Trust’s Love Your Liver campaign focuses on three simple steps to Love Your Liver back to health:
- Drink within recommended limits and have three consecutive days off alcohol every week
- Cut down on sugar, carbohydrates and fat, and take more exercise
- Know the risk factors for viral hepatitis and get tested or vaccinated if at risk.
Where to find the roadshow
The roadshow will be visiting the following locations from 10am till 4pm:
- Basingstoke (Market Place): 17 October
- Brighton (Ship Street): 18 October
- Bournemouth (The Square): 21 October
- Portsmouth (Commercial Road): 22 October
The roadshow comprises a mobile unit where people can take a free online screening test and find out if they are at risk. Free liver health scanning will also be available using a non-invasive device but please arrive early for this as places are limited.
There will be expert guidance on how to keep your liver healthy from healthcare professionals who will be on hand to provide advice on diet, exercise and healthy living.
If you can’t attend the event you can still find out if you are at risk and check your liver health online by doing the online screening test at https://www.britishlivertrust.org.uk/screener.
- *South West: https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/profile/liver-disease/data#page/1/gid/8000063/pat/42/par/R4/ati/104/are/E45000020
- *South East: https://fingertips.phe.org.uk/profile/liver-disease/data#page/1/gid/8000063/pat/42/par/R4/ati/104/are/E45000019