Testing for viral hepatitis

You’ll need to have a blood test, which can be taken by your GP or a nurse at your local clinic, or by hospital staff (a person who is specially trained to take blood is called a phlebotomist). It will then be sent to a laboratory to be tested.

Becoming familiar with some of the main terms used, and the meaning of key test results, will help you to understand more about your condition.

Understanding the importance of antibodies and antigens is a good place to start.